Welcome to my A2 Media Studies Blog. Here I will present my research and planning for my production of a promotional film trailer alongside two ancillary products; a poster and a magazine cover, where I have tried to incorporate typical codes and conventions of existing media products. On the right hand side is a link to my Foundation Portfolio where you can see my skills development throughout the course, as I adopted new techniques and abilities.

16 July 2011

History of Film

Post-modernism
In media and film, post-modernism refers to the situation where one text is referenced in another, where particular codes and conventions are expected and the affect of cultural references on the audiences' understanding.
Intertextualality
The shaping of a text's meaning by other texts
Pastiche 
The reference of one film in another e.g 'Anuvhood' was made in reference to 'Kidulthood'
The beginnings of film - 1890
- Crank cameras were used where the film has to physically be pushed through
- 17 meters of film = 50 seconds. Films were always very short due to practicalities
- Lumiere Brothers were ground breaking in the late 1800s


La Voyage dans la Lune by George Méliès - 1902
- Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight video recreates the film 


Meanings in media are mediated - what the audience is bringing to the text as well as what it brought to them





No comments:

Post a Comment