Welcome to my A2 Media Studies Blog. Here I will present my research and planning for my production of a promotional film trailer alongside two ancillary products; a poster and a magazine cover, where I have tried to incorporate typical codes and conventions of existing media products. On the right hand side is a link to my Foundation Portfolio where you can see my skills development throughout the course, as I adopted new techniques and abilities.

20 July 2011

Codes and Conventions of Horror Movie Trailers


  • Villain - usually surrounded by darkness, face rarely seen
  • Victim - displayed in different colours to show innocence and neutrality 
  • Tension
  • Eerie music 
  • Ghosts, spirits, evil
  • Fear and panic
  • Stormy/bad weather
  • Supernatural elements
  • Majority of characters are quite young - group of teenagers showing vulnerability and naivety 
  • Failed attempts of heroism 
  • Arrogant characters who have no belief in the villain's existence - often first to be killed off or taunted

Underlined = typical conventions that I will strive to use throughout my film trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment